E.R.R

E.R.R

Thursday, December 13, 2012

The story of a 72 year old Nigerian who died in his Flat in USA

A NIGERIAN'S DEATH IN A CALIFORNIA APARTMENT
 
Ozodi Thomas Osuji
 
         My strange friend, Dr. Michael Ozurumba died in November. He was probably over 72 years old. He was not married and did not have children. I knew him for thirty one years (1981-2012). Throughout that time we talked about his wish to get married and I kept asking him to marry one of the girl friends he talked about but he kept saying that he had not found a suitable one. Well, he is now dead without finding a perfect wife. He, of course, did not have to marry for no one required him to be married but the fact is that if he wanted to be married he had to marry an imperfect woman, as he himself was imperfect, for no human being is ever perfect. To wait until one finds a perfect match before one marries is a wish of the wisp. 
        The man was extremely unrealistic (Immature). Here he was, an old man, and he was looking for a woman in her twenties to marry! What young woman would marry an old man (he said that he wanted to have children hence was looking for younger women, but why didn’t he marry one when he was in his twenties as many of us did). He would ask younger women out for date and they would take him to the cleaners, take whatever little money he had and shine him off.
      He said that he had sex with some older women in their fifties and would talk about how old they are (he called them Kanda, old meat, dried vagina and would go on and on how he did not like their old, dry vagina that needed lubricants to make it smooth to have sex with them).  It was foolish for him to make such statements for he was older than the women he called old.
         (Come to think about it, he talked a lot about sex; I got to know all about his sexual escapades in Nigeria and wherever he lived in the USA. The man cracked me up with his talk of “vagina mapping”…having women spread their little pleasure-boxes as he examined their anatomy, and he did this to women from the various races to find out if there were any differences in their physiology and anatomy…after I had had my laughter I would put on my psychoanalytic hat and speculate on why he did what he did…he was probably trying to know where he came from, his mother’s vagina, his route of entry  into the world, it was some kind of primitive philosophical inquiry as to where human beings came from; peoples quest to understand where they came from can take them to weird behaviors….the man had a good sense of humor and made me laugh until I cried.)
        The man deluded himself and kept telling people lie about his age. I asked him how old he was and he would not tell me. But he had told me that he started elementary school in 1947. In the Africa of his time folks did not enter elementary school before age seven so he was probably born in 1940.  From the bits of information he gave about when he started schooling, the fact that he went to secondary school in the 1950s (he said that he attended Government College, Umuahia) and was teaching at a secondary school in the early 1960s (he said that he taught at Asa Grammar School, Aba) one could guess that he was an old man even though he felt that he was deceiving folks by not talking about his age.
         Interestingly, he always asked folks about their age; he asked me and I told him the exact date I was born at Massey Maternity Hospital, Lagos in the 1950s and thereafter he would preface his comments by reminding me of my age, forgetting that he had not told me about his age and the fact that he was way older than I. This man lived in the world of fantasy (he had loads of self-deception…such as talking about marrying and having children… at his advanced age!).
       He lived by himself and did not have much to do with other people. He kept to himself, not depending on other people for help and not helping other people.
        I came to Los Angeles and was there for two years before I returned to Alaska this fall and he did not come to see me. He kept giving me excuses that his car (he emphasized that it is a Jaguar…perhaps, to impress me with his wealth?) was broken down. It was obvious that if he wanted to see me he could have taken the bus. The fact that he had not seen me in decades was enough reason for him to want to see me.
         (Come to think of it, a few years ago my daughter was toying with the movie industry and was in the Los Angeles are and I gave Mike her address and asked him to go see her but he never did go see her! They say that one should not malign the dead but I must observe that the man was weird; if I was very proud and easily felt slighted I would have felt so because he did not go see my daughter,  a  girl he was around when she was born at UCLA medical center; additionally, I could have felt offended that he did not come to see me when I came to the Los Angeles area, I lived at Long Beach…I  analyzed why he did not come to see me; I felt that he felt ashamed of what he looked like and did not want me to see him in his decrepit old age; he knew me when I was an exercise freak, when I was at UCLA I used to run several miles every other day with my then friend,  Dipo; I did not permit an extra pound of flesh on me, and he probably felt that I would be disgusted by his aging, flabby body; he was saving face? )
       Since I came from out of state he could have invited me to his house. Before I left the LA area I tracked him down in August, just to see what he looked like before I left town. He looked old, run down and dilapidated; I suspected that he was about ready to expire, to kick the bucket.
        More importantly, I suspected that he did not want other people to see him. He probably felt that he was a failure and that if people came close to him they would see that he had not accomplished much and would not like it.  Thus, he did not invite any one to his place, the apartment he lived at for over thirty two years!
        What was probably going on was that he had a big ego that demanded success and that drove him to work hard. He obtained PhD from UCLA. But that big ego did not want to take marching orders from other people so he did not seek out professional work and did night work in a hospital (a job I gave him…while at graduate school at UCLA I worked at a psychiatric hospital and employed some Nigerians there) and in the day time did his own business. Apparently, he was doing so until he was sixty five and retired and lived on social security income, which was not much, hence he was poor in his old age.
        He did not want anyone to know that he was poor and presented himself to people, over the phone (for he did not allow life people to see him) as a very important person when in fact he was probably barely able to pay his rent.
         The man had not gone home to Africa since he came to the USA in 1975. I used to wonder why. Obviously, he made enough money to afford transportation to Africa so why didn’t he go visit his folks before they died?  Why didn’t he go get married there?
        I suspect that he was waiting until he was rich before he went home to go show off his wealth and since he never did become rich he was ashamed to go show his (supposed poor) face to his Ngwa (Aba) people.
        The man posited a big ego self and was defending it. To protect that big ego self he did not enter work teams and competed for social rewards. He kept to himself, not participating in social life. He lived to protect his imaginary big ego self.
       He was probably afraid of failure and that fear led him not to join social groups and compete in them. By keeping to himself he managed to retain an empty big self. In social withdrawal he maintained his cherished but false grandiose self.
        The protection of his big ego self-led him to fend for himself and not depend on other people and then he told himself that since he was not fed by other people that he does not have to feed other people hence he did not reach out to help those in need around him.
       I once asked him why he did not get himself involved with Africans in Los Angeles, and helped the needy among them and he said:
 
 â€œonwere onye na esun nri”…
 
Does anybody feed me, so why should he feed any one…
 
This is typical Igbo bush thinking, the justification for their decision not to help other people but instead take from other people; they call it:
 
“ Ima ako; Inwe ako na uche”, (to be wise…Igbo wayo)
 
In my book to be idiotic…giving is receiving; if you give help to other people other people will help you and if you refuse to help other people nobody will help you…come to think of it I gave this old boy the only real job he did in America but he did not consider it worthwhile to come see me when I came to the LA area. I have always believed that Igbos are fools, although they think that they are smart and wise; they are takers and not givers.
 
        He lived a self-centered life and died a lonely man (in his apartment and neighbors had to discover his body and call the police to have it carted to a morgue). No Igbo man knew about his death until I called  from Alaska to find out how he was doing and the phone was disconnected and I called a friend (Amauche Ude) to go to his place and find out how he is doing (he discovered that he was dead). 
     
         I believe that Mike died because he had no purpose he was living for, a purpose that transcended his ego. He lived to nurse and protect his desired big ego.
         It is true that all of us are living to protect our egos but if one can manage to have a social ego that cares for other egos and work for their betterment one tends to have ego reason for living. But this man did not work for his children’s good, for he did not have children, or for his peoples good for he did not identify with them; he separated from people and simply lived only for his self.
       He lived for himself, lived alone and died alone; as we sow we reap; this is the justice of God!
 
PERSONALITY AND FATE
 
       Experience has taught me that the individual’s personality was formed during the first five years of his life. A child is born and his body interacts with his world and forms a personality. Biology plays, at least, 90% role in the formation of personality, with social experience responsible for the other 10%.
     Something in the child, call it consciousness, mind, soul, call it what you want, uses the child’s inherited body and received social experience to construct a personality for him. Once constructed the child believes that his personality is who he is and defends it.
         Mike’s personality was formed during the first five years of his life. Given his inherited biological constitution and his pathological Igbo culture…Igbo culture is self-centered hence is pathological, sick…; he constructed an egotistical self-concept (personality). He had been egotistical and driven to attain a big self since he was five years old.
        The relevant point is to realize that he should not be blamed; he is merely to be studied and understood. In many ways he was a victim of his body, warped Igbo culture and personality and could not change it.
         None of us can completely change his personality.  What I can do is learn from his obvious weird personality (his not relating to people and keeping away from people to nurse his big self) and see how it operates in me and struggle to make changes in my own personality and live with what cannot be changed (no one can change his entire personality for most of it is formed by body and no one can change his entire body yet).  Do not blame people for their personalities, good or bad, just learn from them.
       Science is not in the business of blaming people; science studies what is and learns from it and designs a technology to deal with that reality.
       The human personality can be understood and technology designed to make the most of it, but change it entirely is impossible.
       Science does not judge people as good or bad but study them as they are. Mike was not good or bad, he was who he was and my function is to understand him and learn from him and his obviously stunted personality.
 
MIKE AND IGBO EGO CENTRICISM
 
       Mike was Igbo; Igbo egos are strictly individualistic. The average Igbo is totally egoistic; in his youth the Igbo strives to succeed and generally is ambitious and succeeds in the egos world. In this light, Mike struggled and earned a doctorate degree from a first rate university.
       By the time it hits sixty hence enter old age the ego is no longer able to motivate Igbos for unless the ego can expand itself and serve public good, become social ego, the ego no longer gives sixty something year old Igbos motivation to work hard. Still clinging to their primitive egos they feel deflated and lose interest in living and die. Thus, most of them die in their sixties and early seventies.
       Mike had Igbo ego that made him work hard and succeed as an individual; unfortunately, his Igbo ego did not tell him to work for social interest hence he withdrew from society instead of seeking ways to get involved with people (ask how they are doing…from Alaska I wanted to know how he is doing and when his phone was not picked up called many Igbos in the LA area to go check on him hence discovered that he was dead and nobody knew it!).
         This man, like many of his people lived only for his ego, not bothering with other people or seeking ways to help them (like my father and mother, I am always the one looking after other people’s interests, giving them jobs, for given my capabilities and domineering personality I usually rise to the top of any work organization I enter and thus able to hire people).
         I help Igbo people and cannot recall any of them helping me! The only thing I remember from them is them calling me abusive names just because my liberal bleeding heart cannot stand by as they court danger by insulting their Nigerian neighbors; I insist on correcting their tendency to insult their neighbors, incurring their anger and attack.
      I could choose  to overlook their behaviors and let them be killed by their neighbors; why should I care whether they lived or died; what are they living for, anyway; living to abuse people; they have contributed nothing to science and therefore their lives are really unproductive and their death is like the death of nonentities.
       The world cares for productive people, such as Jews, Englishmen, Frenchmen, Germans, white Americans,  Japanese etc.; when those die the rest of the world mourn them; who mourns unproductive Africans; Africans are literally useless; they live to make other people feel guilty at their suffering hence help them out.
        The world is tired of feeling guilty from looking at suffering Africans, especially now that they know that they brought that suffering to themselves by their thievish behaviors and inability to govern themselves properly.
        Africans, Igbos included, death is irrelevant to the rest of the world and I could choose not to bother with them and say let them kill themselves, what do I care? They should mean nothing to me.
        Alas, my liberal bleeding heart always seeks out ways to help Africans (and they are always ripping me off, calling me a fool for giving them jobs and financial help…I cannot count how many times I sent books to Mike to read, how many times I asked him to send to me his hand written papers and I typed them for him or had my secretary type them for him… the man refused to learn to type, as African big men do not type…he paid typists to type the papers he wrote and I did not like that he was spending money on typing services and often volunteered to type for him, I type very fast, over eighty words a minute, so typing is not a big deal for me…at no time did the man volunteer to do anything for me…his Igbo sense of taking from others and not giving to others at work, no doubt).
             Mike had Igbo pride; in fact, he was a slave to pride. Everything he did was to maintain the ego face of importance and prestige.  It was actually the defense of pride that led him to cut off from other people or to relate to them from emotional detachment lest his pride is hurt. The man lived to protect his pride, ego and vanity.
        Pride and ego are the opposite of love and as long as he defended pride and ego he could not love his true self and other people.
       Now, see how he died, very miserably, alone in his apartment, not surrounded by loved ones; his body was carted away to a public morgue and from there, if not claimed by his people, nobody would probably do so, it would be cremated and the ashes scattered to the four winds and no one would know where he is buried.
      I used to encourage him to write books on Igbo culture, a culture he seems to understand and he kept saying that he would do so when he has the time to do so.  He did not. Since he did not write any books no one would even remember that he lived; he is now gone and for all intents and purposes did not live, for our existence are in other people’s memories; since he refused to reach out to people’s lives no one would remember his existence; he did not exist!
      Like his Igbo ancestors he lived and died and there is no evidence that he/they lived, he did not leave any legacy/landmark to tell the rest of the world that he/they ever lived; we do not know anything about the Igbo past a hundred years ago, a pity.
       Mike is a lesson in what pride and our pursuit of egoism does to people. Love for one’s self, for other people and God is the only worthwhile thing that we can do with our lives on earth.
         Spiritualized persons who have transcended the ego and serve public good can live long (120 years is the maximum age we can live in body); they know that they are not body and not ego and do not fear death and can die at any time. Generally, they die when they have completed the work they came to this world to do and die peacefully.
        I will die peacefully when I am done doing what I came to the earth to do (understand human psychology and lived egolessly, lovingly). Actually, I am already dead to the ego and body for I know that I am not the ego and body and do not fear death.
 
LESSON FOR ME
 
         The reason I was drawn to Mike was because in many ways he reminds me of aspects of me. We are in many ways alike so I could learn from him.
      People meet for a purpose so there must have been a purpose in my meeting Mike, a man, at least, fifteen years older than me. We met in 1981 when I was a graduate student at UCLA. I used to write columns for the student newspaper (UCLA Daily Bruin). He read one of my articles and called me. I talked to him over the phone and we arranged to meet. When we met he was an older man whereas I was the typical graduate student in his twenties. Thus, we should not have been friends for we did not belong to the same generation but somehow I enjoyed talking to him. We actually did not meet, after the initial encounter, in person to talk but talked over the phone. Thereafter he told me that he was looking for a job and I got him a job (in graduate school I was a teaching assistant and also worked in a psychiatric hospital). After completing my dissertation I left Los Angeles to teach at a university elsewhere and we lost touch. I had actually not seen Mike in person until last August when I tracked him down.
       The lesson to be drawn from Mike is that I, too, have a big ego self. I, too, do not want other people to tell me what to do. I quit jobs to avoid the white man from pushing me around. Because I was pursuing a big ego self I too failed in the objective world. I too lived to protect my ego.
      Because I did not commit myself to working in the white man’s world I did not make sufficient money to support my ex-wife and my children in the manner that my talents suggest that I should have done.   I failed those around me (I did not love them in what Carl Rogers called unconditionally positive manner…I am a critical person and criticized them a lot…my fault finding is predicated on my evaluating people with my ideal standards; I judged them not good enough relative to perfection; I should not have done that for ideals are fantasy; real people are always imperfect and one must accept them as they are, imperfect creatures; I did not work my little ass off for their good, as I should and from now onwards must do).
        Unconsciously, I feel like I am a failure. Feeling like I am a failure I wanted to die. Thus, I stopped exercising, as I used to do ( I was a compulsive exerciser, ran five miles every other morning before I went to work, went to the gym twice a week, went to the swimming pool once a week, rode my bicycle on weekends, played tennis and golf etc.) and ate like a fool and gained weight. If I continued on that trend I would kill myself with heart attack or stroke. I was on a fast track to death.
      I can reverse the trend of self-destruction if I find a purpose to live for. Purpose always has to do with doing things for those around one or working for some goal that transcends ones ego, such as the pursuit of knowledge (if it is not done for ego fame and importance).
        Feeling like I failed I developed anger. Hence I would yell at my children upon the slightest mistake on their part. Instead of going out to make money for them I merely criticized them for not doing well.
        Big ego and its defense always lead to failure and temper tantrums.
        The lesson is for me to give up the pursuit of the big ego self and accept a humble ego self, actually to give up the ego altogether.  I must give up pursuit of fame and social importance.
         I must, however, not escape into mysticism, for that is negation of this world; I am interested in understanding this world but not escaping from it.
       One can figure out a realistic line of work and do it to make tons of money and live humbly in this world. There are realistic and realizable goals, not the grandiose goals that are not realizable in the real world that I had pursued (in pursuit of my ego ideal I pursued ideal work, unrealistic work).
    The salient point is that Mike came into my life for me to learn from his weird personality. Clearly, he was a very smart man; he had to be smart to have attended Government College Umuahia and the University of California. I found him very stimulating intellectually (I cannot talk to anyone whose IQ is not, at least, above average; I would not know what to say to such person…just think of Mike’s Vagina Mapping Monologues!).
       I am supposed to learn from Mike’s negative aspects for they are in me and correct them and live with what I cannot change. I certainly do not want to end as he did, dying alone in a miserable apartment in Santa Monica, California.
         I want to die like my beloved grandfather, Osuji-Njoku did. I was with him when he died in the 1960s (I was eight years old then). His children and grandchildren were gathered by his bedside and he talked to us about going to join his illustrious ancestors and quietly joined them (died). We did not cry for him, for why cry for a man who lived a full life and lived to great old age, over 90 (he dominated his world with iron fist; when Osuji-Njoku talked folks listened and that included the white men in his colonized Africa…the white Nwa-DCs in his area used to quake in his presence!).
     
LESSON FOR ALL PEOPLE
 
        The lesson from Dr. Michael Chike Ozurumba’s interesting life style is for each of us to live lovingly, to love our real selves, love other people, work for public good and not devote time to defending and protecting our big ego selves (as Mike did).
        Love is the only thing that makes our lives worth living. Where there is love there is joy and peace (love, peace and joy go together; where one is missing others are missing). Without love and service to other people we are mere animals.
       Dr. Ozurumba was an Igbo, a selfish man who lived for himself. I liked his intellect but could do without his screwed up personality.  I like Igbos capacity for work but detest their self-centered existence.
         The lesson from Michael Chike Ozurumba’s miserable manner of death is for Igbos to learn to love all people and quit their egoism. See where egoism gets one of them: death in a California apartment, and unknown cemetery!
 
PS: GRIEF AND LOSS PSYCHOLOGY
 
      When the Individual experiences a major loss in his life (from death, loss of job, divorce, in case of children moving away from a familiar neighborhood or school etc.) he tends to go through a grieving process (Dr. Elizabeth Kubla Ross made the process famous in her book, Death and Dying).  The grieving may last a day, a week, a month, a year or longer (some people may not even recover from a major loss, such as the loss of a child…women have been known to go into depression when their children died and never recover from it and eventually give up hope in living and die). In case you do not know about the grief and loss process, it has five stages (not necessary in order). They are:
 
(1)    Shock
(2)    Denial
(3)    Anger (at the universe, God for doing this to you, asking why me questions)
(4)    Depression, sadness (loss of interest in living, being morose etc.)
(5)    Acceptance (maturity…we do not have control over death and other things must accept them)
 
       Question: At what stage of the grieving process do you think that the paper “Death in a California apartment” was written from, anger?
 
 
 Ozodiobi Nwa Osuji-Njoku
December 11, 2012

No comments: