Former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki
The Federal Government has said ex-National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki is planning to evade trial for illegally possessing firearms and money laundering. The accusation was made on Thursday by prosecution counsel, Dipo Okpeseyi (SAN), warning that Dasuki's plan is to frustrate his trial.
Okpeseyi argued that Dasuki’s application, in which he sought among others, to restrain the state from further prosecuting him and or quash the charge against him, was intended to obstruct government’s prosecutorial powers.
He contended that by his application, the ex-NSA seeks to be discharged without being subjected to trial.
It would be recalled that Dasuki was last year arraigned before Justice Adeniyi Ademola of the Federal High Court, Abuja, on one-count charge bordering on illegal possession of firearms and later re-arraigned on an amended five-count charge, in which he was also accused of breaching the Money Laundering Act.
However, Dasuki has accused the government of frustrating his effort to get medical attention abroad. Dasuki filed an application, accusing the prosecution of breaching an order of the court, allowing him to travel abroad on medical grounds.
He said the decision of the state to re-arrest him and detain him amounted to breach of the court’s order.
He prayed the court to restrain the prosecution from proceeding with his trial or that he be discharged on the ground that his continued detention has denied him the right to prepare for his defence.