- He charged them to defeat the Boko Haram insurgents within three months.
- He urged them to ensure that armed banditry, kidnapping, and other forms of criminality are also phased out.
- He also advised the military chiefs to be accountable for both the men and equipment placed under their command, in the course of carrying out their assignment.
- He asked them to re-professionalise the military and ensure troops are well trained and equipped before going to battle.
- He urged the service chiefs to protect innocent civilians and respect the rights of combatants in order to earn the support of local and international communities.
President Muhammadu Buhari has given Nigeria’s new service chiefs three months to defeat terrorist sect, Boko Haram.